How much money will be deducted for canceling the ticket, it depends on the reservation class and how many hours before the train is canceled, it is canceled. There will be more deduction on expensive tickets. The rule of online ticket cancellation is also different.
The railway charges the cancellation of the ticket. This charge varies. This charge depends on the class of reservation. The charges for canceling the reservation on Executive Class or AC First Class, AC Two-Tier, AC Three-Tier are different. Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), the company that deals with the e-ticketing of Indian Railways, has explained in detail about the cancellation charges. If you cancel your confirmed tickets before chart preparation, IRCTC levies flat charges. After the chart is prepared, a charge is also levied for canceling the confirmed ticket.
Rules before charting
According to IRCTC, how much will be charged for canceling the ticket, it depends on the time, how many days before the journey the ticket is being canceled. The charge depends on what was the status of the train ticket while canceling the ticket.
1- If you cancel the confirmed ticket 48 hours before the departure of the train, then the rule of minimum fee per passenger is as follows-
- For AC First Class or Executive Class, Rs 240 will be deducted for a passenger.
- There will be a deduction of Rs 200 on AC two-tier or first class tickets
- 180 rupees will be deducted on AC three-tier ticket. The same money is also for AC chair car or AC 3 economy class
- 120 rupees will be deducted for sleeper class
- 60 rupees will be deducted for second class.
2- If you cancel the ticket between 48 hours to 12 hours after the departure of the train, then 25% of the ticket money will be deducted. GST will be included separately in this. The charges for the minimum amount that will be deducted on AC tickets have been mentioned above.
3- If a confirmed ticket is canceled online within 12 hours to 4 hours after the departure of the train, then 50% of the ticket money will be deducted. GST charge will also be included with this deduction money.
4- If you cancel the confirmed ticket within 4 hours of the train’s departure, if these tickets are not canceled online or TDR is not filled online, then the entire ticket money will be deducted. The passenger will not get anything back.
How to cancel IRCTC ticket online
- Go to IRCTC e-ticketing website. Log in with your correct username and password on the login screen
- Go to My Transactions and click on ‘Booked Ticket History’ link under My Account menu
- The booked ticket will be displayed. Select the ticket to be canceled and click on ‘Cancel Ticket’
- Initiate the cancellation by selecting the passengers whose tickets are to be canceled
- Select the check box before the name of the passenger and click on the ‘Cancel Ticket’ button
- A confirmation pop-up will appear. Select the ‘OK’ button to confirm the cancellation
- On successful cancellation of ticket, cancellation charge will be deducted and refund money will be displayed on the screen
- A confirmation message will be sent to the mobile number (provided at the time of booking) for cancellation of the ticket. A confirmation mail for cancellation will be sent to the email id registered with IRCTC
In case of partial cancellation (reservation of multiple people but cancellation of one ticket), the passenger should obtain a fresh printout of the Electronic Reservation Slip (ERS) for those passengers who are continuing their journey.