Getting a new phone often means transferring over all of your data to the new one. If you have WhatsApp, you’ll need to update your phone number so that you can get into your account with your new phone.
Here’s what happens when you change your WhatsApp number, and how to do it.
What happens when you change your number on WhatsApp
There are a few things that happen when you change your number on WhatsApp:
- Your WhatsApp profile, settings, and groups will be moved over to your new phone number.
- You won’t be able to access your WhatsApp account on your old phone.
- The account associated with your old phone number will be deleted, so your contacts through the app won’t see it listed in their contacts list
Because of all these consequences, it’s a good idea to give your WhatsApp contacts a heads up about your new phone number. That way, they won’t accidentally lose touch with you when you make the change.
How to change your phone number on WhatsApp
There are two ways to change your phone number on WhatsApp: from the same phone or from a new phone.
On the same phone
When you change your phone number in WhatsApp on the same phone, your account will retain all your contacts, profile information, and message history.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Open WhatsApp.
2. If you have an Android, tap the three-dot icon. (iPhone users can skip to the next step.)
3. Select Settings.
4. Choose Account…Read more>>